Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

June 26, 2006

Figleaves followup - nice try but no cigar

In a rant a few posts ago about underwear, I mentioned that I was trying out a few new sources for bras. Well, I ordered a few bras from Figleaves with high hopes that I'd find something suitable in my impossible 28AA/30AA sizing. The order came last week and I was impressed with the packaging and quality of the items. I was also impressed with its customer service when I called to inform them that my order was accidentally doubled. Not only was I greeted by a live British-accented voice (it's a UK company - no outsourcing quite yet), but she refunded me the extra shipping cost immediately without any hassles. Here's a review of what I got. Sorry, no pictures of me modeling them - there's no way I'm doing that myself!

This was my highest hopeful, as it came in 28AA. Ok, ok, it's incredibly girlie and candy pink (and even called Candy), but as everyone keeps telling me, if it fits, just buy it. The 30AA and the 28AA "fit", but they weren't particularly helpful in boosting my bust. I was also under the impression that they were underwire, but turned out to be just cotton and elastic. Well, not actually all that surprising as they really seem to be training bras.

The After Eden bra was a big disappointment - the cups actually gapped a bit from my chest, which may have something to do with the "maximizing" qualities. The material used for the elastic around the chestband is very very flimsy - it just stretches and stretches. Not something I'd want to keep for $37. Between this and the Wacoal ones I've tried in store in a 30AA, the Wacoal seems to be of better quality (and cheaper at $36).

Finally, the last piece was very nice - but too big in 32AA. I realized this when I bought it, but it was a black strapless underwire bra. As for most of the things I try to buy, I was hoping against hope that it'd be running too small. Ironically, the Panache Atlantis in 32AA fit better than the After Eden 30AA because the chestband wasn't flimsy - note the shiny elastic, as it's meant to be used as a strapless. Obviously, the cups were a little too big, but the quality was heads above the After Eden one. It's a real pity that they don't make it in 30AA. It's pricier at $46, but I can't find a black strapless anywhere close to my size.

Anyway, this all goes back today as soon as I fill in all the return info (free returns) and drop it at the post office. While I couldn't find anything appropriate for me at Figleaves, I do recommend them for anyone else who may not be quite so small. At least no one can say I didn't try....

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy the maidenform for girls convertable bra avilable at target. it costs only $9 and is made in 30A

November 08, 2006 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would highly recommend ripplu.
It is located in L'oreal building.
I am 28A. They do alternation to custom fit my bust. It is a great place for bras. They do have a website too. It is www.ripplu.com

March 15, 2007 12:13 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks! I'll have to try them out.

March 15, 2007 12:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

also try www.herroom.com
"petite" bras have straps that are shorter for petite women. CC Girl Microfiber Underwire Demi Petite Bra might be better for you

March 17, 2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks piglet30! I just went ahead and ordered 1 of those to try them out!

March 17, 2007 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try www.ittybittybra.com. I haven't bought anything from the yet but I'm going to.

July 20, 2008 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home