Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

July 13, 2006

Capri Pants??

Summer in New York (especially Manhattan) always kills me - the concrete jungle we live in becomes incredibly hazy and well, disgusting. I'm all for shedding more layers and getting some circulation, but one article of clothing just boggles my mind - capris. Especially for shorter people! I admit that I'm a bit biased as I've never found the look to be particularly attractive on anyone - even tall women. But I just don't understand why a short woman would want to wear something that makes her look even more short.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people wear them for practical reasons. Sure, they're a bit cooler and show a lot more than a modest full pant leg does, but I find them aesthetically challenging. The shortness of the hem never fails to make me think that it merely chops up a woman's legs, and the blocky effect makes short people look even shorter and stouter. Some would argue that they don't mind looking short, but I don't think 'a little teapot' is exactly what any of us are going for.

I know, the pants in the picture aren't great on me as they're a little too big in the waist/hip area (they're from Banana Republic in 00P). But check out the first picture...I look silly don't I? I feel like I'm borrowing someone's Lederhosen from the Heidelberg restaurant nearby and should start belting out a drinking song!

So instead of looking like a happy, hearty Bavarian, try going for hems that are short or, alternatively, at least ankle length. The idea is to elongate your figure. If you don't break up your leg line, it will give you a longer and sleeker look. That's good no?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Livemalls said...

I agree. Those pants don't look very nice on shorter women.

July 13, 2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger Livemalls said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 13, 2006 8:53 PM  
Blogger PetiteMommy said...

Just found your blog while searching for petite stuff online. I'm 4'10 and the same weight as you. I have so much trouble finding stylish clothing to fit me. I usually end up buying stuff from the kids department.
Nice to find another petite woman who goes through the same thing. Anyway, I own a few pairs of capri pants and they do make me look shorter but I still wear them since they are comfortable.

July 19, 2006 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am even shorter. I am 3'5 and I can never find clothes tha fit me. I can never find SHOES either since I am a size 13 (kids) or 1 (adults). I don't know what to do. What do other REALLY short people do out there?? I've seen short people on tv. wearing really nice clothes and shoes and I wonder where they get them, I am desperate. I can't find anything in the internet. The smallest shoes are size 2. I need help!!!!!

July 22, 2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, 3'5" - that is tough! Obviously, you've heard about buying clothes in children's departments - but I'm assuming you mean dress clothes?

As unsavory as this may be, the best option may be altering things a lot. If you're not particularly chesty, you can get away with buying a girls or boys (yes, you can!) shirt and have a tailor put in darts for you so it's better shaped. Find what fits best for your shoulders and work from there. Sleeves you can take up as well. For jackets, they can be taken in through the back, and pants can also be altered. Since you're putting so much into alterations, you might as well invest in something of high quality.

As for shoes, Cinderella of Boston offers a selection of smaller shoes from size 1 1/2 to 5 1/2 American. They have a retail location in Boston as well. Unfortunately, shoes that are size 1 American seem unavailable, but perhaps the 1 1/2 may work? If you have the money, you can actually even get shoes made. An up and coming shoe maker, Ron Donovan, makes made-to-wear custom shoes from $410 and up, or real custom shoes (where you get a mold made) for a bit more.

I'm sorry, that's all I have for right now. I hope that helps. I'll post for real with some other suggestions soon. Good luck!

July 23, 2006 12:07 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 23, 2006 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometime in the 90s, all men's shorts basically morphed into capris, even when it made no sense (i.e. basketball shorts). So, can a short man (q.v., me) find shorts that don't make him look even shorter? Not that I want hoochie daddy shorts, either.

July 24, 2006 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute and nice variety of summer wear are available at Old Navy...

March 10, 2008 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home