Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

July 03, 2007

Size Matters - Featured on Leonard Lopate Show

While I have been pretty busy and haven't been posting lately, I thought that readers may be interested in listening to a particular radio segment on New York's public radio station, WNYC. For those of you that love public radio as much as I do (or are just interested in the segment), Leonard Lopate will be speaking with Stephen S. Hall today about his book, Size Matters: How Height Affects the Health, Happiness, and Success of Boys — and the Men They Become.

Hall is a science writer that has written a book that gives a historical overview as to how height has been understood over the years, and why it has changed. He also explores the causes and effects of the culture of size bias. The author himself is 5'5 3/4" and includes examples and antecdotes from his own life. (It's interesting to note that he makes a point to emphasize his height accurately down to the quarter inch. Fighting for every last bit or trying to deliberately not pass as 5'6"?)

I will definitely be tuning in to listen to the interview and picking up a copy of his book soon. Those interested in a more detailed review can read the NY Times review.

The Leonard Lopate Show will be airing this segment live on July 3, 2007 at noon on 93.9 FM in the NY metro area. You will also be able to call in to ask questions or make comments during the live segment at 212-433-WNYC (212-433-9692). Those that are unable to tune in directly can stream it, or download the segment later free from iTunes or off the show's page. (Please note that there is a slight delay with the streamed content.)

***correction***
The segment is actually a replay of a previous interview.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Midori said...

"Fighting for every last bit or trying to deliberately not pass as 5'6"?"

i was once told (after revealing myself to be a towering 4'10.5" tall) "you know you're short when you start counting the fractions."

July 03, 2007 1:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

http://blogs.business2.com/design/2006/11/little_people_b.html

I found this article and thought it was interesting. Just thought I'd share. I'm not medically a "little person" but definitely relate.

July 12, 2007 11:48 PM  
Blogger Specialkalle said...

oh man, you're so lucky, at least you've got an inch on me! cute site!

September 14, 2007 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy I read all your posts. I felt very happy when I found another person who have the same problem. Unfortunatly i don't live in N.Y. to visit the shops. The shopping is a nightmare. I am 4 10 and I weight 85 pounds. Why you stopped posting in your blog. Please start again because a lot of petite girls/women have the same problem

December 09, 2007 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand trying so hard to look taller than you actually are.I mean I lived in Thailand for many years and it never botherd us about being short.Mum is 4'6 dad is 4'9 me i am 4'8 younger sister is 4'10 and younger brother 5'3.We then moved to England and that is when it hit us.We lived in a town called Exeter and obviously completely different to what we imagined it.People at first thought we were different to them and expressed their displeasure at us.Now i was okay in when we were in Thailand has most of the population is not very tall anyway.It took years to get over the pain of watching my younger brother and sister grow taller than me and i was 2 years older than my sister and 4 yrs older than my brother.Some people might think oh 2 ins isnt that bad but i always thought being the oldest i would be taller than them.My younger brother took it quite well and he used to help me while in Exeter.I know that i am quite abit shorter than average even when we were in Thailand but we all get on with people were we are now and everythinh is great.

April 25, 2008 8:11 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hey. Loved your blog when you used to post. I still miss it.

I'm 4'10" and I have a blog of my own now and did a post on petite fashion. If you check this still, you might want to check it out. :)

June 05, 2008 6:45 PM  
Blogger Winnie said...

How come you don't post anymore? I think we could be twins or something haha. I am also living in New York and have great difficulty finding fitting clothes - especially pants! I'm not even 5 feet, I think 4'11. I wear size 5 shoes, but for heels size 5 is still too big!! I can't get proper work shoes.. boots and sandals are fine. Slingbacks are OK. But I can't find regular pumps. I also rely on BR and Ann Taylor for pants.. but I still need a belt and they are a tad too long..

July 25, 2008 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

loving this blog -- I'm 4'11 (tall compared to my mother who checks in at 4'7!), but to top it off I was unfortunately "blessed" in the breast department so my body is completely out of proportion. I'm a size 2/4 petite on bottom and probably a size 8 or 10 on top (32DDD)! Finding dresses that fit is a nightmare, and being a meagerly paid PhD student, the idea of spending hundreds on alterations is quite frightening. Any suggestions?

August 07, 2008 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home