Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

July 26, 2006

Gap Kids Store Review - Have I Shrunk Again?

Gap Kids
1535 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212-423-0033

I popped in a few weeks ago when my brother suggested I check out the store again. Of course, now I remember why I never shop in here! Most of the clothes are of decent quality and cut for the prices (sales come and go all the time here). So it's only the insistence of the Gap Kids designers to make everything so, well, childish that makes me refrain from buying most anything.

I know, at this point, most of you are thinking, 'what do you expect? It IS a children's store!' But my God, does everything have to have a little embossed (or gigantic printed) cutsie palm tree/sailboat/heart/rainbow on it?! Poor teenagers - I don't get the impression that 13+ year old girls or boys want to be dressed like this. Then again, it's been over a decade since I was that young, so maybe I'm wrong here? It gives me the impression that the only parents that shop here for their 14 year olds are desperately trying to tampen down their children's hormones. Can you possibly get more wholesome (at this price anyway) than this?

Anyway, despite my grumbling, I did wind up checking out the jeans -and a random dress, for kicks. It's been several years since I tried on a pair of jeans here, and I was surprised to find that either I've lost weight and a few inches off the top, or the pants are sized differently. About 7 years ago, I fit into a size 16 slim. The 16 slim fit in the waist, were just a little longer than my heels, and a little baggy in the thigh/leg area. Imagine my surprise when I slipped on a 14 slim and found that they were slightly longer than the old pair (which, alas, I no longer own), and tighter in the leg. I actually recall that I probably bought the size 16s back then because the legs were too short. I guess Gap realized teenage girls want to wear high heels or something, as I highly doubt they've gotten more willowy over the years.

The pants were not baby dolled up except for a tiny rainbow tag on the right back pocket. Easy enough to snip it off if you so desired. Quite a few of the other jeans did not have any of the girlie adornments on them, so if you can find a pair that's good here, it's a good deal cheaper (these were $29.50...about $20 cheaper than the ones in adult Gap). It also has some 'distress' marks on the inner thighs for stylistic purposes. They measure 26 1/2" around the waist, and have a 28" inseam.

The big shock came when I suspiciously looked at this dress. It came in the entire Gap Kids range of sizes. It's actually unbelievable to be wearing something like this past the age of 12, but I was stunned to find it available in larger sizes! The belief in the age appropriateness of baby bunnies and huge colorful flowers on clothing for 16 year olds by the designers is to be...commended.

Ok, honestly the thing that really threw me is that the sizes for some of the clothing seems be really off. The dress I tried on did come in size 14 and 16 too, but I was wearing one sized for an 8 year old! How embarrassing! Not only was the item a size 8, but it was slightly too big for me, well, everywhere except the shoulder straps.

So I have a relatively big bottom and small top? Hmm. I'm not really sure about that one either. Another item I own is a denim skirt that I bought about 3 years ago that I absolutely love...in a size 8, with a 24" waist. Oh well, I guess this isn't something to fuss about - after all, the adult clothing is the same way!

Gap Kids does not carry dress up clothing except for a button down shirt or two, in either gendered section. If you're willing (or deliberately looking) to put up with the cutsie stuff, then the place does carry quite a good selection of decent polo shirts, pants, jeans, and outer wear - with a definite imbalance towards pink and pastels for the girls, and blues and yellows for the boys.

Otherwise, you can do what I do, and hit 'em up for a lone skirt or shirt that doesn't make your short self look like you're supposed to be shopping here! If you're looking for great quality however, I'd suggest somewhere else, as most of the stuff isn't made to last terribly long in great condition.

If anyone else has any other suggestions for children's stores, be my guest and let me know!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Livemalls said...

Does Barneys or Bergdorf Goodman sell big-kids clothing? I can't imagine many contrived themes at either place.

July 28, 2006 1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the guy side of things, Brooks Brothers has a boy's prep clothing line. But I don't think they have a similar line for girls. I wonder where prep-school girls shop... maybe it's time for a field trip to Groton to see what the local shops have got?

August 04, 2006 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Target has a pretty good girls' department. Sure they have a fair amount of blinged-out kidsy stuff, but you can find some good basics.

At present, they have a good selection of "long and lean" tanks--ribbed racerback tanks. They have the same style in juniors, but the tops are cut much longer. They also have some cute empire-waisted tops and dresses.

If you're a bit taller, 5' 2" or 5' 3", you might even try the juniors' section's Mossimo line. Many of the tops and even nice dresses have slender, adjustable shoulder straps and smocking or ties at the waist or under the bust.

Lastly, Target used to offer custom jeans. You could order them through the website. I'm not sure if they still have this or not.

June 21, 2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

you should check out uniqlo in soho, its on broadway. I dont know how you would do finding something to fit your waist-- but the store alters all pants for FREE, and with NEXT DAY PICK UP. plus, the jeans are like $30... so worth a try.

December 02, 2009 9:53 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

you should check out uniqlo in soho, its on broadway. I dont know how you would do finding something to fit your waist-- but the store alters all pants for FREE, and with NEXT DAY PICK UP. plus, the jeans are like $30... so worth a try.

December 02, 2009 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home