Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

June 02, 2006

Zoolook store review - Fancy Dresses to Fit

Zoolook
399 West Broadway
New York, NY 10012
212-431-9431

So I gotta rave, because it's not often I find a shop that is so willing to be accomodating. I walked into Zoolook on West Broadway after an interview around the corner a few weeks back and was immediately surprised.

It's got that art studio splashed paint thing going on and is pretty open and airy. A wonder, the place actually has its own skylight. The store had a bunch of stuff on sale and I was looking through, just for kicks. The owner, Shine, came over to help me and she suggested a few items on sale that were "small." I was doubtful, but figured, sure why not?

If girlie dresses aren't your thing, this is not the place for you. The dress I tried on was definitely too big, and when I came around to check it out in the mirror, I told Shine. Who, wonder of wonders, proceeded to pin in the dress so that it didn't just look like a sack on me.

So it turns out that Shine is the designer of all the dresses in the place. Huh. Now that I'm looking at myself pinned in, it suddenly fits. And I wanted it. I really wanted it. Designers, are you listening? When it fits, it totally increases a customer's desire to buy it! Needless to say, I gave in and have already worn it twice since the end of April. Price? Well, sans alterations, it was less than $300. Ok, not cheap at all, but where the heck are you gonna find a handmade dress for that price? Plus, everything is silk lined, which feels fabulous.

Shine had to take it in and move the boning and straps. A heck of a lot of work, but in the end the dress, originally a "4", fit me perfectly. I totally will be checking out her sales rack in the future. In fact, see pictures of a yellow size "2" dress ($150 I think). It was too long for me (and I don't think I dare wear this color), but if you're slightly longer in the torso and above 5'0" naturally, it'd fit.

I can't be the only person terrified that a tailor is going to screw up that big ticket dress/coat/skirt/etc. So for once in my life, I was completely sure that she wasn't going to ruin it. Cause it was her baby.

Quality, fit, price, and a personal touch. Things that are often hard to find for smaller clothing - but I definitely found it here! I asked her if she would be making other clothing - but alas, she doesn't have the time. Sigh. The search continues....

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Livemalls said...

It seems like a very nice boutique.

I was going to comment on the Mexx entry, but you didn't enable comments. I was going to say that I prefer Zara, but my perspective as a tall man would be a little off the path of this blog.

June 10, 2006 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home