Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

August 08, 2006

I Am Indeed Provably Short and Petite

Kathleen Fasanella, writer of The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing, keeps the very highly detailed site Fashion-Incubator. Full of information regarding the practical aspects of clothing design and construction, it also has articles and commentary on industry trends. If you actually want to know more about the nitty-gritty side of clothing, this is the place to start. She was kind enough to post a short snippet about me here, in which she describes where I want to be taking this blog in the future. Thanks Kathleen!

What I found particularly amusing was that Kathleen couldn't tell how small I was from my shots. "From her photos, she doesn't look petite at all. Cameras lie." Eek! I guess I didn't leave anything to compare myself against. Well, just so there's no confusion, I'm offering concrete evidence (well, close enough anyway) that I am indeed, very short. It was hard enough juggling the tape measure and camera to get a full body shot, but close enough I think?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the reason why you don't look so short is because you are thin. It elongates the body. If one is short and rounder, then it creates the perception of being relatively shorter.

August 10, 2006 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for writing about your shopping experiences as a petite woman and the challenges that most petite women have to face on a daily basis (the average people would probably be surprised to discover). Also, your shopping experiences and tips are helpful. Thanks for sharing, I truly enjoy reading your blog. I also think you have a gift and natural talent for writing.

August 10, 2006 5:30 AM  
Blogger Livemalls said...

I agree with the other poster above. You're slender, so it elongates the look of your body

August 10, 2006 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody says you're not petite. By no means was I suggesting you weren't petite as you claimed. We'd been having an ongoing discussion on the blog that cameras fail to accurately reflect the sizing of women as well as the difficulties with modeling petite lines on the runway. Furthermore, I said as much. If anything, I was using you as an example to prove my point (that cameras are screwy). It's not that I don't believe you, it was quite the opposite. I don't know how you could have missed that in the post.

Btw, technically, "petite" refers to bone girth, not bone length. My bone girth is the same as the bone girth of a woman 4'10" (I'm 5'4 1/2" and weigh 106). I know you have it bad but at least there are enough styles available approximating your size to the extent that you have something to write about. There's nothing in mine, I gave up on shopping 20 years ago. It should be no mystery why I started sewing. In other words, at least when it comes to me, you're preaching to the choir. Other than height issues, there's not much you can tell me.

August 15, 2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

In an effort to be humorous, I realize that I was quite unclear! The fact is, it isn't always possible to tell how tall/short someone is unless there's something or someone else to compare against. Perception is all relative anyway. Sorry Kathleen, I knew you believed me - I guess we were just trying to prove the same point!

August 15, 2006 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home