Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

August 17, 2006

Petite Model Casting Call - Is 5'7" Petite?

Tangentially following up on Kathleen's post regarding the use of petite models, I found this ad in Craigslist today:


Reply to: see below
Date: 2006-08-17, 10:17AM EDT


Petite models needed ASAP .
We are loooking to hire new faces
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Women 5'0"-5'7"
Ages 18-29

Competitive day rate is set at $1500 a day
NOW CASTING FOR CATALOG , TV , PRINT AND COMMERCIALS


Guess who called? Obviously, I was very curious, but didn't manage to get much information. I shouldn't have been as startled as I was when the woman on the other end asked me how tall I was, and what shoe size I wore. After all, she were probably getting hundreds of calls today for the same thing and was running on auto-pilot. But what really surprised me was that she didn't just hang up on me. The woman was rather nice - brushed off my concern about my shorter-than-five-feet height and reassured me it that would be just fine.

So, she asked, when can I come in? Well, er, I have no photos. That's fine. Or experience. That's ok. Or a clue. (ok, I didn't actually say that) What should I wear? Something appropriate. (What the heck is appropriate????) Finally, she asked if I belonged to a union, or would have any restrictions against joining one. Um...no? (Ok, I am completely out of my depth here....) She gave me the directions for the agency's office and told me to come in tomorrow.

Ok, I admit that for a split second, I was actually tempted to go over there, since never in my life could I ever imagine observing (hah! participating!) in something like this. (Don't worry, reality set in and I'm back to normal.) Now I'm just stuck with overwhelming curiosity. Who in the world is hiring these models? When I first saw the ad, I figured that they were just looking for women that were closer to the more realistic heights of the average American woman (which is 5'4"). But what if they are actually searching for shorter women??? Women that, dare I say, are as short as me? Not only that, but they seemed quite generous with the age range...up to 29! Now I'm just very very curious about what is going on here!

Well, maybe I can stop by. Just for a little peek.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see why you can't crash this party and get some questions answered. Who knows, you might even end up a model! Bring a camera, at any rate.

August 17, 2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger Livemalls said...

Hmmmmm. Sounds like a 20/20 exposé waiting to happen. I think I'd stay clear without a hidden camera or John Stossel.

August 20, 2006 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Amy... so what happened there? Did you attend the screening? And, what was it for?

August 28, 2006 3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have an observation to make. from what i know about "the old days" in women's sports, most teams maybe had one "tall" girl, and she was often 5ft10 or 5ft11. but take a look at today's game. i believe about 2/3 of the women in the wnba are 6ft or taller. same is true of professional women's volleyball, and now, even women's tennis! the top players are all at least 6ft tall, and when a 5ft6 player comes along they call her "small" or "undersized.".
it's depressing to me to hear women who are a fulll head taller than i am beng referred to as "short."

March 16, 2007 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a good point. maria sharapova is like 6ft3. i know i'm short, but how can the women's TENNIS champion be about a foot and a half taller than me?

March 18, 2007 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true. she's even taller than most models. i'd expect this in basketball or volleyball but it is a bit absurd now that all the top women's tennis players are 6ft or taller. i'm not even 5ft!

March 18, 2007 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true!! i recently heard them call 5ft6 martina hingis "undersized." ridiculous. do you really need to be over 5ft10 to play pro tennis now too?

March 19, 2007 8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Lady is a SCAM. She is running these Ads again. I spoke with her todayand hung up on me and my mother twice.

The website she is running out of is www.petitecasting.com and her # is 212.920.7013.

Maybe she should learn to stop taking peoples money. What a SCAM!

October 07, 2007 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This lady called me also.
She didnt give her name, here company, or anything. Just immediatly asked how tall I was, and to go to the computer and type in my credit card info on the site to sign up. She said "they were just photographers and that you will be put on the site for exposure". I had asked her if it was for the "Models for Prada" ad, and she said, I dont remember, I have 6 bookings now. When I told her I couldnt fill out the info right away, she got snippy "well call me back today". She didnt give me any infor as to what was going on, or anything. I have delt with scams and sketchy people before.. and know when to do my reserch (on man was hiring for a car show in japan, he sounded weird, so i left it on the backburner, later on LAPD called me saying they had just arrested him.. for he was kidnapping women! SO DO YOUR RESEARCH!).. Im not sure i trust this lady with her rushed attitude and un-proffesional talk. A real agency would not be so rushed to hire someone they havent met with.. which was me.

January 19, 2008 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 5'0", very tiny, not big at all.

February 02, 2008 1:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

She took $40.00 from what a bitch I hope they arrest her ass from scamming people Im going to put her under investigation shes done now!

August 08, 2008 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home