Some Small Sense

Shopping experiences and store reviews by a very petite woman. Indeed, it sucks. 4'10", 87 pounds, and full grown - is it a surprise I have trouble finding clothes?

October 17, 2006

Almost Locked in the Dressing Room

I consider myself at least a semi-pro at the whole changing room thing. With so much practice, I can shuck out and regarb in pretty much record time. Screens, sliding latches, hook latches, hanging pieces of cloth, you name it and I've seen it as a door...or at least I thought.

Today, I made a quick stop in Armani Exchange to browse through the sale items, as I was passing the store on Fifth Avenue anyway. I collected quite a few items to try on and a sales woman led me to the fitting room. I guess it's been a while since I've been in the store, as I got really confused when I couldn't figure out why there was no catch, doorknob, latch, or any other means of securing the door behind me. And the door was definitely didn't have some sort of neutral closed position that 'clicked' into place. Maybe this wasn't a real changing room?

Er...no. I was so weirded out (I wasn't going to undress with the whole darn world breezing by while I was changing!) that I walked out to find another room. The sales woman must have known I would be confused and kindly mentioned that I didn't latch the door. Really, no kidding? At this point, she gestured to the mysterious latch...that was at the very, very top of the door!

I shuffled back into the room, then suddenly found the door shut behind me and the latch latched. She told me her name as she walked away, in case I needed something. I jokingly mentioned that I might need her to unlock me from the room - but didn't realize that this wasn't far from the truth! I was luckily wearing my 2" heels or else I could have been a little foolish, jumping up and all to try to snag the latch. Seriously, this latch was 74 inches from the floor and I could barely reach it! (You should all know by now that I carry a measuring tape with me for these critical and embarrassing moments)

Ok, I know. I am really short, and heck, they probably assume that everyone shopping there has a little more altitude than me. But come on, check out the picture - there's no way that this latch is expected to be seen by the average Joe! (or Jane) It blends right in, and you have to be 6'4" to have it at eye level!

As for the items I tried on, nothing quite worked out. They also seem to have a new bizarre extension to their already strange sizing system, which I previously mentioned here. Some of the pants I tried on were a P0 regular, and some were this new oddity of a P0 petite. Unfortunately, I was in too much of a rush to properly measure anything or take a picture, but I seriously couldn't tell if there was actually a distinction. I'll have to follow up on that at a later point.

Man, I didn't realize these stores were made to booby-trap small children! Maybe it's to help babysit the kids while the parents are shopping? An indoor pet/child fence if you will....

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows, it could be a theft-deterrence mechanism?

October 19, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Livemalls said...

I once got myself locked in a bathroom stall, so I know how you feel.

October 19, 2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger jj said...

Oh my lord... that's insane! I would have been trapped, as I nearly never wear heels!

October 20, 2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger MimiLolly said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, which brought me to yours!
Loved it, what a crazy story!

October 25, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger deelirium said...

That's hysterical!

I found your site on shorty-stories.com and intend to keep reading. I'm also 4'10" but about 95 lbs. So I have NO idea where you could possibly find pants other than jeans.

November 12, 2006 4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am about 5 feet, 95-100 pounds. I've had very good luck with Banana Republic's 00P (every time there's a sale I stock up). I have yet to try Ann Taylor 00P (which according to their online size guide is smaller than Ann Taylor Loft 00P)... so, who knows.

November 12, 2006 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOPS!!! I was not the only one who almost got locked up in A/X dressing room that locates on 5th Ave.

March 15, 2007 1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

didnt the saleswoman realize it was going to be hard for you to reach the latch?! was she average height or very tall?

March 15, 2007 3:21 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Well, I'm pretty sure that anyone 5' and over would be able to reach that latch without 'help.'

The main thing was that I couldn't even see it at first!

March 15, 2007 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it turned out you couldn't reach the lock would you spend 10 minutes trying to figure out some way to get up there rather than give in and ask the sales assistant to reach it for you? i'm stubborn that way so that's what i'd probably do!

March 18, 2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I would have piled up their clothes in a ball on the floor and stood on it. Or jumped up. That or ask for help when someone comes around!

March 18, 2007 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the cynic in me can't help but think that some tall girl who works there had the lock put up really high on purpose. don't be so quick to rule this out!

March 20, 2007 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of things like putting the lock too high, i'm 4ft11 and my roommate is 6ft2. she's always leaving things up way too high for me to reach. she always claims that she didn't realize i couldn't reach it but i'm convinced that she's doing this on purpose. actually because of this i discovered that because of her long arms and fingers she can still reach higher than i can even when i stand on top of a chair. ugh.

March 30, 2007 11:06 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Allison, you totally have to take advantage of the situation! Your tall roommate can use the top shelves, and you the bottom shelves. Perfect! No one needs to reach down/up.

If you make her get something every time it's out of reach, she'll start remembering to put shared items in the middle golden area.

March 31, 2007 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes we already do those things. but i cant tell you now many times she has purposely put something low to be nice but it's just not low enough. at first i told her to get on her knees to see if she could reach something and use that to judge whether or not i could reach it. that's how we discovered that even on her knees she can reach higher than i can. i may just need to get a shorter roommate! you looking for one amy!? :)

April 01, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

short roommate + short roommate = very inefficient household :)

Think of all the tall cabinet space that's unused!?! Tragic, just tragic.

Start putting stuff really really low. And start explicitly thanking her a lot when she DOES put stuff in the right place. Good luck!

April 03, 2007 12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When i was young i remember being looked in a room and not being able to unlock it my dad had to get a screwdriver and take the handle off it.I just have trouble reaching the high cabinets.While growing up my youngest sister always thought it was funny to hide my stuff high knowing i had to climb on something to reach it.I think that kitchen worktops should be lowered for certain people has i would definetly benefit from it.

October 15, 2007 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home